So, let me start off by saying that I am extremely grateful that I can live in Macau and yet manage my doctor's appointments (for when I'm home), the payment of my student loans, my hair appointments (again, for when I'm home - thanks, Tammy), the ordering of my prescriptions (thanks, Jennifer), and yes, even the management of my bank account with relative ease. I am grateful. But, none the less...annoyed?...amazed?....astounded? at the way customer service is organized at Bank of America.
I waited until it was after 9 a.m., EST in the U.S. so that I could have the option of talking to a real person. Ha, ha, how naive! I called the number on the back of my ATM card and waited for the automated voice. The voice prompted me to speak or say several pieces of information, such as my account number, access code, social security number...and as I am using Skype, I opted for speaking these numbers because the keypad on Skype doesn't actually register with automated services. However, when I finally got to the automated service menu, I no longer had the option of speaking the number of the service I wanted (i.e. press 1 for debit card issues, press 2 for transfers, etc.). So I waited, while the menu repeated itself three or four times, and I expected to be re-directed to an operator (i.e. a real person). Instead, I was disconnected. The same thing happened for each of the three other customer service numbers I called.
Ok...so, now what? Calling is no longer an option. What about email?
So, I check the Bank of America website to find that there did not seem to be a customer service email address. Instead, one should look under FAQs for your topic and corresponding answer. My topic was not listed.
Ok, so no email address and no FAQ help, either.
Then, I noticed a customer-service texting option, which would have been welcomed if I had not already spent 30+ minutes making phone calls and navigating the FAQ. I reluctantly tried it, and to my amazement, I was immediately greeted by "Pauline." Pauline had a typing error in her automated text-response. Trying not my best not to jump to conclusions, I wondered where Pauline was located. In any case, my question was answered in a short amount of time (15 minutes), while Pauline obviously multi-tasked: "Sorry, I'm back with you now," and I did, too.
I guess Bank of America saves some money by allowing one person to do the job of three, and Pauline is another step removed from unhappy customers, and we both can be multi-tasking instead of holding a phone to our heads. And I realize that I have traded personalized service for convenient service. But I do miss talking to a real person and would gladly return to the Bank of Dade where I have a teller named "Shirley" who knows me, my parents, and grandparents by name, and always asks about "your Mom and them" when I come in.

No comments:
Post a Comment