So since I've been on holiday the last few days, I've been trying to keep myself busy with things other than schoolwork. When most of your friends are away, it can be easier to just stay indoors and put your nose to the grindstone rather than to make the effort to get out.
But I persevered against my introverted tendencies and forced myself to go to Hong Kong and see something I've been meaning to see since I've lived here - the Big Buddha on Lantau Island.
I am so glad I did!
But, there is a story here. Though the Buddha was totally worth it, I actually learned what NOT to do:
1) Do not go to a popular tourist attraction the day after the Chinese New Year.
2) Do not be deceived by a "short" line. Check to see what is at the top of that escalator at the "end" of the line. It might save you a 3-hour wait.
3) In addition to buying ferry tickets beforehand, also purchase cable car tickets beforehand. That might save you from waiting in before-mentioned line.
4) Or, take the bus to the top of the mountain and the cable car down. This will save you time (only a 1-hour wait in the cable-car line at the top of the mountain) and also allow you to see the gorgeous scenery.
5) Or, better yet, get there very early and hike the 6 miles to the top of the mountain. Get a kick-butt workout AND avoid the crowds.*
6) I LOVE where I live. $70 USD pays for a day's transportation - taxi, bus, ferry, cable car, subway - to another country / city-state - and I never have to drive. The crowds can be hell, though.
*My preferred choice. I cannot wait for this kick-butt workout the next time I have a free weekend.
The view from the line. The cable cars go up and around the distant mountains. You couldn't see the end of the cable car line or the Buddha. It was intriguing. But only for about 15 minutes. Not 3 hours.
Finally in the cable car. Sharing with a family. The ride took about 25 minutes. If you're afraid of heights, I don't recommend it.




Passing other cable cars on the way.


Finally at the top of the mountain, and then on to the big Buddha. Not being Buddhist, I actually think it is a little creepy and reminds me of some of the "idols" mentioned in the Bible. But it would be awe-inspiring to see it in the early morning, and the sheer size is impressive.

About to make the climb to the top. The big urn in front is for burning incense, I think.

At the top. I'm impressed with how much of the crowd I cut out of these pictures. The people you can see here paid extra to get closer to the Buddha. You can also pay extra to visit the nearby monastery and for other things, like a glass-bottomed cable car. The doorway visible in the picture goes to the giftshop located under the Buddha.

And at the bottom again, ready to wait in line some more. :)

This one's for you, Dale. See the "steamed mullet"? Ok, google just told me a mullet is actually a fish. It'll always be a hairstyle to me, though.

Now on the way back down the mountain. Pretty sunset, hikers beneath us, a nice breeze coming through the cable car.


The madness that is Hong Kong on a Saturday night. "Crowd management" was in effect on the subway lines - meaning you could only walk in one direction at certain times. I was so ready to get back to "quiet" Macau after a long day of travel.


No comments:
Post a Comment