Sunday, March 30, 2014

Cambodia TESOL Conference

February 21 - 23 I went to Cambodia for their 10th annual TESOL conference, always held on the third weekend of February.  Since coming to Macau, my colleagues have been encouraging me to apply for it, and this year, I finally did.  My proposal for a 30-minute workshop got accepted, and after many hours of preparation, I was ready.  Workshops are "hands-on" in that they should allow the audience to participate in a teaching technique.  My workshop was on the use of pictures to teach writing to lower-level English learners.  I went to the conference with Evelyn (my director), Mark, Teresa, Kerry, and Marie.

 
Yes, the price is in US dollars.  That's $16.50 for a bag of Reese's at the Cambodia airport.  Cambodia is the only Asian country that uses US dollars as its currency (in addition to their local currency, but dollars are preferred).  The airport prices were not indicative of the prices in the country as a whole.  
 
 
Of course, we had to have some "play" while working.  Mark, Teresa, and I visited the local market.  This man was making fresh cane juice.
 
Teresa and me at the market.  The building behind us was the center of the market and like a hub on a wheel.  The path that we were standing on was like one of the spokes.  There were five "spokes" and row upon row of goods for sale - jewelry, postcards, trinkets unimaginable, clothing, electronics, and food.  Teresa got a pretty cool pic of a vat of fried cockroaches, tarantulas, and grubs.  They were quite expensive - $1 US dollar for two big cockroaches.
 
 
 
 
The streets of Cambodia, as seen from the back of a TukTuk.  Whenever we'd stop, children would rush the TukTuk, asking for money.
 
 
 
 
Back to work.
 
 
 
 
These pix are in reverse order.  I uploaded them in the wrong sequence, and it's too much trouble to reverse them all.  This was a parting gift at the closing ceremony.  Delicious locally-made chocolates that just melted in your mouth.  The "goodies" were a little sparse at this conference, compared to others I've attended.  A kind reminder was given at the opening ceremony to "only take one cake" during the tea break.  How much we have and how little we really need.
 
 
 
A beautiful sunset from the roof of Marie's hotel.  The word "spa" can been seen everywhere.  It's a very poor country, and I've heard one of the worst in Asia for human trafficking.  It's a beautiful country, though, and one that I can't quite forget.  The weather / atmosphere was like a perpetual summer's day in Georgia - hot, sticky, everyone moving slowly, completing daily tasks in a comfortable way.
 
 

Back to work.  Lunch was served outside, just like your elementary school field trips.
 




The lunch, however, was NOT just like your elementary school field trips, thank goodness.  It was so tasty!  Smoked chicken leg and veggies, friend codfish balls, a beet, apple, feta salad, and a lotus leaf with glutinous rice dessert inside.  I've replicated the salad since coming back. 
 



 
Despite being what is probably one of the best universities in Cambodia, the facilities were just like my third grade classroom - wooden desks, complete with carvings.
 
 

The inside of the classrooms.  Open to the outside.
 



Resting between sessions, taking it all in.



The helpers wore orange shirts and blue shirts.  Orange shirts were for technical problems.
 



 
The university grounds.
 
 
 
 
 

 
Teresa and me at the opening ceremony.  


 
The opening ceremony, complete with a traditional dance.  I couldn't see it well. 
 
 
 
From wikipedia.  Just to give an idea.
 
 
 
 
Decor at our hotel was lovely.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Eating street food.
 
 
 

 
Why yes, that is congealed blood in my noodles.
 
 
 
The outside of our hotel.
 
It was a lovely (busy), refreshing trip.  I taught my classes Friday morning, rushed to the ferry terminal, and I returned to Macau at 1 am on Sunday, in time to teach my classes Monday morning.  Though tiring, it makes me want to travel even more while I'm in Asia.  I've already registered to attend a conference in Thailand in June.  So excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment