Chinese New Year Day is a day for visiting family. I've heard from other friends that they visit their dad's family on the first day and the mom's family on the second day, but that varies from family to family. Tina's family visited her mom's older brother first for lunch then her mom's older sister later for dinner. Tina's mom and her mom's younger sister should visit the older relatives.
Here we are first at Tina's mom's older brother's house. He lives in a nearby mountain village, and we drove there with her cousin and her mom's younger sister. Though living in a village is a little inconvenient, the uncle has a modern home with four stories and each story is large enough for one of his children and their families to live there.
Here we're eating lunch, and there is a men's table (with smoking and drinking) and a women and children's table (with orange juice).
Later, Tina and I walked behind her uncle's house to visit an old tomb that is there and then went to another mountain (Lion Peak) that is a tourist attraction. There is a swinging bridge on the way to the foot of the mountain, and some children thought it was funny to shake it as much as they could. It was nerve-wracking because we could hardly walk.
Later, we went to the older sister's house. I wish I had taken more pictures but didn't. Her house is at least 100 years old and still operates like a traditional Chinese home. Though it was in the high 40s - low 50s, she had no indoor heating and would only use this little seat with some ashes from the cooking fire to stay warm. Before we left the electricity went out in the house.
Here we're back in Tina's family's apartment. I took an opportunity to take some photos. It is a modern Chinese apartment. It was cold because of no central heating, but we all just wore our outdoor clothes indoors (I had on two pairs of socks and pants, three shirts, and a coat), and besides being cold, it was comfortable.
My bedroom.
The living room.
The laundry area.
Dried pork hanging up.
The wok with fish a-fryin'.
Dinner at auntie's house.
On another day we ate breakfast out and I tried some of the famous duck soup made in these huge urn-pots. Delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment