Saturday, February 24, 2018

February 24, 2018

Today has been "nothing special" but just special because it's another day, and a beautiful day at that.  Mom and Dad are in Athens this weekend, visiting Carrie's family, but I decided to stay here and get in some studying for upcoming tests and assessments.  I got in some studying and also some time with Grandaddy and Aunt Rie.

This morning we had our usual Saturday morning breakfast but ate with Sonny and his wife, Louise, which we haven't done since I've been home.  Instead of biscuits we had waffles, and then we visited until about 9:30 or so (breakfast always starts at 8:30 sharp).

Toward the end of visiting, Grandaddy brought out a little ceramic figurine of a wrinkled old woman and told us her story.  He was in Newnan, GA for a crafts fair and was the blacksmith.  The daughter of Alex Bealer, who wrote The Art of Blacksmithing (https://www.amazon.com/Art-Blacksmithing-Alex-Bealer/dp/0785803955) asked Grandaddy to make a 3-tined fork that could be used for cooking.  Grandaddy told us as an aside that Mr. Bealer "checked out early" after smoking heavily.  Anyway, in exchange, the woman gave him this little bud-vase of an old woman who she said was named "Effie."  And Grandaddy still has the old woman and remembers that story very clearly.  I found out today at breakfast that the poker set at the Wildwood community center was made by Grandaddy, and I know that the one at the Lookout Valley Cracker barrel was as well.  No telling how many homes in our community have something made by Grandaddy!

Later, Grandaddy and I visited again in the shop.  He was up there making repairs on the push-lawn mower and then took it out for a spin afterwards.  He confided in me that his shop was always tidy until Dad and Uncle Scott started using it.  :P :)

And here's a few early springtime photos from Wildwood:




No comments:

Post a Comment