Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Fabulous Fourth

It's been a long time since I was last home on the Fourth of July.  Mom and I were trying to remember how long it'd been yesterday, and it seems like it's been 5 years or so. 

Mom and I went to "Pops on the River" last night and sat on the Walnut Street pedestrian bridge with our camping chairs.  The symphony played excerpts from musicals (Star Wars, of course), westerns (Aaron Copeland) and marches (Stars and Stripes Forever).  The fireworks afterwards were some of the best I've seen in awhile.





Today we ate hamburgers at Grandaddy's house.  Mom, Dad, Bobby, Aunt Rie, and I were all there.  Afterwards, I heard some good stories:  Aunt Rie and Dad never complained to Honey that they were bored during summer vacation, or else they'd find something put in their hands - a mop, a hoe, a broom.  And never try to play hookey from school, either.  Dad was "sick" one morning but began to feel better after the school bus passed.  Honey made him stay in bed all day - he wasn't allowed to get up out of the bed at all!  And then had to sleep in his bed all night after spending all day there.

Bobby had a good story to tell.  He conveniently missed the bus one day when he was a kid, too.  He got sent through the woods to "Uncle Joe's" place and spent the whole day hoeing in the garden.

Bobby also recalled someone once asked Pap, "Fran, why are you raising so much corn?" and he answered that he wasn't raising corn, he was raising boys.  

And another recollection - Bobby had a 1946 La Salle with a Cadillac's engine in it.  He was drag-racing with a Thunderbird on the coastal highway from San Diego on his way to Tillijana one time and spun in 3 circles on the road.  When he stopped spinning, the Thunderbird was gone!  He wishes he still had that car.

No comments:

Post a Comment