Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas!

This advent season has been the best one that I've spent abroad.

Part of the reason for this is because Macau has strong Christian (Catholic) roots dating back to their time as a Portuguese colony.  Churches are found all throughout the city, and there were so many available worship services this Christmas season (I have been going to a Baptist church, and Jess and I went to a midnight mass at one of the Catholic churches on Christmas eve).  The city itself is decked out in Christmas decorations on the streets and in the local businesses and restaurants.  Several Christmas celebrations have been held in the public squares, and many choirs and bands have given special performances.


I'm sure this store had good intentions, but these Christmas decorations were  creepy.

These characters are lit up at night.  You can see them in the green spaces around Macau.

A high school (?) band performance.

The Grand Lisboa looks very Christmas-like, no?

This celebration was actually for the "Macao SAR Establishment Day" (December  20).  I love the blow-up sea animals.

Carolers!

Senado Square, Christmas Eve.

Senado Square, Christmas Eve.

Church of St. Dominic, Christmas Eve.

The other reason why this has been my best advent season abroad is because of my roommates.  Both Angie and Jess are Christians and have been really encouraging this time of the year.  And Jess has especially tried to make the advent season feel like it would at home.  We've had a cookie-decorating party, bought and made decorations for the apartment, had special dinners for friends, and made holiday comfort food.  Thanks, Angie and Jess!

Our Christmas cookie-decorating party!  Winnie, Stella, Chelsea and Miranda.

Jess is making an egg wash to paint the cookies with.  Having never done this before, it was fun to watch her technique and then to paint the cookies with little paintbrushes.  

Painting and decorating the cookies.
Of course, with Angie and Carol present, we knew this would happen.

We decorated our houseplants (a.k.a. Christmas trees).
A poinsettia added some Christmas color.  Incidentally, poinsettias were planted all around the city in the public flower beds.

Paper snowflakes graced our windows.

I made my own advent "wreath."

A special meal that Jess made for Carol and Karen - our Chinese tutors.  The meal was delicious and Karen and Carol took notes on how to prepare everything themselves.  Afterwards, they taught Jess and I to play Mah Jong.

Christmas Eve, Jess wanted to make a soup that her grandmother makes every Christmas Eve.  I decided to contribute to the meal by making something I'd bought in stores before, but never made myself - bitter melon stuffed with minced meat.

The hollowed-out bitter melon slices.
 
Stuffing them with pork meat.

Frying them up - I added too much oil.  I forget how greasy pork is.

The ones I bought before were stuffed with fish paste, and the meat didn't shrink so much when cooked. 

The finished product looks like meat with hula-hoops.
Jess' dill soup was delicious.

We even bought a jigsaw - just like being at home for the holidays!

 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment