Friday, June 15, 2012

Washington DC, Day 1

I don't get to spend an awful lot of one-on-one time with my parents any more, so this year, for a combined Mother's and Father's Day gift (and 30th birthday gift to myself), I decided to take my parents to Washington, D.C.  I have to say, it's been an awesome first day.  I love seeing my parents in a new environment and noticing their reactions to everything.  Here are some photos and quotable quotes (Dad was on a roll) from our first day:


Dad, D.C. Metro Station: "See that stuff on the ceiling..."  (He has noticed asbestos on the ceiling and details its function to me - he used to work in asbestos removal from old buildings)

Dad, in the crosswalk: "I know what they're trying to do--they're trying to kill me!" (The crosswalk signal immediately changes from pedestrian-friendly white man to a red count-down with 30 seconds left- Dad starts to jog when the light turns red.  He's not joking, though we're already nearly halfway across)

Dad enjoys an after-dinner beer and especially likes Trader Joe's selections of beer.  He was very disappointed to find the Trader Joe had no beer and even more disappointed when the next grocery store had no beer.  We are in Maryland.  Conversation between Dad and a random person in the second grocery:
  
     Dad:  "Where can we find beer around here?"  

Person:  "In Virginia!" 

Dad:  "Virginia!?  Well, I'll be...!"

Mom:  "I told you Maryland was a dry state!"

Dad, in a two-story Barnes and Noble (his fave): "Well, they have a big 'un here!"  (The one at home is only one story).


Getting ready to leave for the airport.  



Black elephant-ears in a planter outside our apartment complex in DC.  Dad was quite taken with them, as were all of us.  We'd never seen black elephant-ears before.



We were also taken with the drought-resistant landscaping along the sidewalks.



Hoofing it home after dinner.  We'll be really "city-folk" for the next few days, walking everywhere.  Mom and Dad have done a great job so far, though I know it's much more than they're used to.





Some pics from our apartment.  Mom scored a sweet deal with her friend, Mary, who lives in DC.  Thanks Mary and Mom!!




No comments:

Post a Comment