Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Grocery Shopping


$10 USD - here's what it bought me at the local supermarket.  A package of rice stick noodles (6 count), a box of New Zealand milk ($2 - one of the most expensive items - fresh milk is only sold in pints), a small head of iceberg lettuce (just to add a little green to my noodles), two eggs (I love it that I can choose my own fresh eggs), one white carrot, two bars of Dove soap (another expensive item - $1 apiece), a replacement instant noodle for Angie, one sleeve of Ritz crackers, a pre-packaged meal that only needs stir-frying or steaming, and a beautiful ginger root (for an upset tummy).

Incidentally, I bought the white carrot on a whim.  I'd never prepared one before and thought it might be an easy veggie on my stomach (cramping and nausea due to Crohn's for a few days). I boiled it like Dad showed me to do a turnip this summer, and you know what?  My stomach felt better than it had in days almost instantly.  I read online that white carrot (or daicon) is used in Chinese medicine for indigestion and upset stomach.  I wouldn't mind studying Chinese medicine, if I ever have the chance.  It worked so well!  My stomach was back to normal the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment