Tuesday, February 9, 2016

My trip to Taiwan (October 2015)

September 30, 2016 - October 4 I went to Taipei, Taiwan.  It was my first trip to Taiwan, and I went because it was National Day holiday in Macau / Mainland, because I wanted to visit Esther Chen, and because I wanted to check out the National Taiwan Normal University where I want to study Mandarin.

First impressions:
Whoa!  This isn't like mainland China at all!  Why is Mandarin being spoken so politely and quietly?  Why aren't people staring at me?  This is awesome!!

After calming down a bit, I realized this would be an excellent place to study Mandarin just for the fact that, well, people actually spoke to me in Mandarin.  In so many other cities around China and in Macau and Hong Kong, people just see my face and start speaking English or just want to practice their English.  But Taiwanese people have a non-assuming way of just speaking to Westerners in Mandarin because it's their language.  Really, that's the way it should be, and I should have my butt kicked for not knowing more Mandarin by now.  (However, I really don't feel bad for not learning Cantonese, though I probably should know more of that by now, too).

Taipei 101

Of course, no visit to Taipei is complete without visiting the sky-scraper that was once the tallest in the world (2004 - 2009).  Taipei 101 stands apart from the rest of the cityscape and is the best-known symbol of Taipei.  I went to the observation deck on the 88th-89th floors (taking a 37-mile and hour elevator).  Quite worth the view but waiting in line really stunk.  I seriously spent more time in line that on the observation decks.  When I return to Taipei in the Fall for study, I'll climb nearby elephant mountain for a spectacular view of Taipei 101.  You'll see that on here later. :)


My dinner in the food court at the ground level.  This food is unique to Taiwan.  Not really sure what to call it.



This is the damper that is located on the 88th or 89th floor.  It is a counter-balance that should help stabilize the building in case of an earthquake.




Walking about
I enjoyed comparing Taipei to other cities I've visited.  The style of the subway stations reminded me of Japan; the style of the train station made me think of the early 1900s; the signs around the subway stations were hilarious; and the artwork that could be found in nearly every subway station was both amusing and innovative.


I saw this same floor mosaic in Japan.



Beautiful sign for the CK Memorial Hall.


The train station.



Cute and funny signs!






Artwork.



Sight-seeing

I love to visit zoos.  There's something about them that makes me feel like a kid again.  Maybe it's seeing all the children with their teachers, parents, or grandparents.  Maybe it's the reassuring way that you'll probably see the same animals you could see in any other major zoo in the world.  I don't know...but I always like to go to the local zoo if I can.

Besides that, I took the cable cars designed to let tourists visit several attractions on the mountains on the outskirts of Taipei.  I met a nice girl from Singapore in one of them, and we spent a few hours together that afternoon.  

I also visited the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall and other famous buildings in downtown Taipei and joined a free tour of the Dragon Temple at night.  It was an excellent tour in which the tour guides explained to us how to worship in the temple.  That's something that I've never had explained to me before, though I've visited lots of temples.  I realize now that one temple has many, many gods (for academics, work, love life) and that there's actually many fortune-telling techniques happening on the periphery.







With my new friend, Sue.  This is where I bought your tea, Molly.




Back in down town Taipei.









My name (Elizabeth) in Chinese (beside Queen Elizabeth) - 伊麗莎白 (Yī lì shā bái)





NTNU and Esther

National Taiwan Normal's Mandarin Training Centre was a big hit, as far as I'm concerned.  Though I didn't actually speak with anyone there about it, the university setting and atmosphere seemed right for me (in addition to what I've read on the internet and corresponded with them about).  Also, Esther lives just beside NTNU, and I feel very confident that she will help me get settled in.








No comments:

Post a Comment