Monday, August 29, 2011

The First Day of School


I don't care how old you are or how many years you've been teaching, there's just something about the first day of school that never changes.  Yesterday was the first day of classes for the University of Macau (UMAC), and there was a definite air of excitement as the day began.  The bus was more crowded than usual on my morning commute and it actually made an extra stop to accommodate the university students.  The campus was suddenly very crowded, and students everywhere were comparing schedules and hunting for classrooms.  Angie, Jess, and I compared outfits and congratulated each other after successfully teaching our first classes.  

By the way, the faculty and staff at the English Language Centre (ELC) are great.  They provide an incredible amount of support for new teachers and also provide support for each other in general.  The lead teacher for a course I'm teaching left a "survival kit" (of peanut M & Ms) on my desk yesterday.  And it's been a long time since I felt overwhelmed by all the ideas shared with me by other teachers.  It's a good type of overwhelmed. :)




My colleagues at the English Language Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment