Friday, October 28, 2011

Walking home for Sarah

Today I decided to walk home from work.  I've been talking about doing it for a long time, and today I decided to do it while taking some special pictures for Sarah - some photos that are difficult to take from a bus window.  Sarah, I know you need some cheering up right now.

As you know, I work on the northern side of Taipa and live on the eastern side of Macau peninsula.  Walking home involves crossing a very long bridge with a narrow sidewalk.  Actually, it was the bridge that had kept me from walking home sooner.  But today Angie, Jess and I braved it, and I'm glad we did.  It was breezy on the bridge (Angie said it made her sleepy), and it was nice to look out at the boats and mountains.  We met two joggers on the sidewalk and had to hug the rail to let them pass, but there was little excitement other than that.  The entire walk took about two hours because we took our time after crossing the bridge.  It was a really nice, relaxing way to unwind after a long week at work.  Enjoy your special  photos, Sarah.

We had just started across the bridge from Taipa.  What you see are buildings on the northern side of Taipa, including a hotel, a casino, and university buildings.  Unfortunately, we have noticed that quite a few of the beaches have  debris like this on them.  Those that are clean are very nice, though.

We've just started across.  The tri-color building in the distance is the MGM casino.

See how narrow the sidewalk is?  The sliver of black on the left is the road.  The right edge is just a railing.
We're getting closer.  See the MGM?  You can also see the Grand Lisboa more clearly, straight ahead from the sidewalk.

I haven't been to the Macau Tower (right), but I'd like to go there sometime.  It has a movie theater, retail shops, and you can bungee jump off the top.  Incidentally, Sarah, it was a roadblock on the 7th season of "The Amazing Race."

Another place I want to visit:  The church on the hill.  See the steeple?  We were actually about level with the church on the highest point of the bridge. 

The Grand Lisboa in all its glory.  You can see how big it is by looking at the tiny stop sign in  the lower left-hand corner.

I think it's interesting that there's this very old, run-down building right next to the Grand Lisboa.

Ok, Sarah.  These pictures are for you.  Macau has a TON of wedding shops.  I guess Macau is a popular spot for weddings.  Maybe there's even seedy little wedding chapels in the casinos, like in Vegas.  Who knows?  By the way, Jess called the dress on the left "Sea Foam Green."  You and Jess will get along just fine, Sarah.

For the kids.





This dress is, by far, my favorite.  It is so fun to look at it on the bus everyday.
Yes, this is a random photo.  Angie, Jess, and I had a good laugh at this store.  What is a "Marbob?"  Maybe it's a cross between a marmot and a bobcat.  I think that's a marbob skin on the wall.

Prince William?



This was where I ended my day.  After arriving home, Jess and I went to get pedicures.  This shop was just across the street from the nail parlor.  I hope you like these special pics, kiddo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment