Or Bulgarian?
Or any other language?
Whilst searching youtube for resources on speaking practice for Chinese learners, I heard about a cool website. It's "FSI Language Courses" the home website for language courses developed by the Foreign Language Service and the United States Government (public domain).
I have to say, it's retro awesomeness. I feel like I should be in some government building somewhere, circa 1975, in a room with no windows and desks of other agents learning languages through their tape recorders and headsets. Even the type-font on the webpage looks like it came straight out of a typewriter.
The recordings for the Chinese section all say "this is the end of the tape" at the end of every file, and the workbook...well, just look at the screenshots. You get the idea.
I have to say, for being as old as it is, the content is straight out of current workbooks, and it's strangely interactive while being grammar-translation or call and response at best. While some would scoff at the lack of communicative competence that comes from these kinds of exercises, I realize that learning to speak in another language is also about physically training your mouth to use another language. And right now, these 1979 tapes are good exercise.
No comments:
Post a Comment