Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 18

Yesterday I decided to go to Zhuhai for shopping (cheap knock-offs of everything imaginable!), and before I left, I asked Cathy if she wanted to meet up for lunch.  Cathy is a friend who is a Phd student at UMAC, and she has an apartment in Zhuhai and commutes back and forth daily.  She said yes, and apparently she needed a break from reading, because we ended up making a day of it.

She took me to a local restaurant called 渔村 which means "Fishing Village."  I absolutely loved its indoor-outdoor setting next to the water, and it will be a must-visit place for my future visitors.  We had fresh seafood, Guangdong-style (see pix below).

Then, we visited her apartment.  She and her parents bought it five years ago as an investment, and I must say, it's very nice.  It is surrounded by courtyards, trees, and lakes.

We followed that up by going to a coffee shop for 巴西 (Brazilian) coffee and then 牛津 (Oxford) Street to visit a Tibetian tea house and have tea with Cathy's friend.  After browsing a few shops, I crossed the border again and Cathy went back for a night of reading.  It was a refreshing change of scenery.  Thanks, Cathy!
 
 
With a cheese-covered baked oyster.
 

 
Views from our table.  We talked until the lunch-crowd thinned out.
 

 
The view from the window near my seat.  The next few are of the restaurant's grounds and lotus pond.
 


 



 
Cathy's horoscope, as given to us from a lucky penguin for one yuan.  It was rubbish, as you might expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment