Friday, January 17, 2014

You cut your fringe and other fun stuff

So the 2 weeks home for Christmas flew by and here I am again, in Macau. Fun stuff from the past few weeks:

Dad's friend and former colleague, Dr. Brian Henry, stopped by the house. Dr. Henry is from Ireland and South Africa (I believe) and he made a funny comment that I'm sounding more British. I should have probed further but just assumed he meant vocab usage, like"rubbish" and "queue" etc...

Later, back in Macau: talking with Tina after she went out with her friend, David:

"David and I think you really look like a British."
 "Huh?"
"I mean, the British are so elegant."
(Looking at my too-big jeans and flannel shirt) "what?"
"And Americans are usually so fashionable."
"Tina, are you saying I'm not fashionable?"
"No!" (With amusement and disgust) "you're just really like a British."

I didn't want to prod her for anymore explanation of cultural stereotypes. This happens to me often with my Chinese friends - whenever they are discussing Westerners. It is sort of humorous to hear all of their cultural misconceptions...same thing happens in small southern communities, I suppose.

I cut my hair while at home, and the bangs are shorter than I normally wear them. At my first level 2 meeting back in Macau, I was complemented after being asked if I cut my fringe.  Of course, I had to ask Vivian to repeat herself while I worked out what she was saying. I was ready when Dan paid me the same complement later.

Talking with Sean in our shared office about the staff housing on the new campus:

"From which direction do buildings get the most sunlight here?"
"The south."
"Yeah, that's what I thought. In New Zealand it's the north."

Never thought about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment