I'm not a picky eater, by any means, but I realized that I'm a picky (aka "lazy") cooker, especially when cooking for myself. But I told myself that laziness is a terrible reason to eat poorly, especially when cheap, nutritious food is all around you. So, I try little tricks like washing all my produce as soon as I get it home and then chopping it or preparing it so that it is ready to eat / cook throughout the week.
I made a tasty cilantro, cucumber, tomato, and olive oil salad, for instance, that lasted me for 3 - 4 meals. Cilantro is quite popular in authentic Chinese cooking, and it is even known as "Chinese parsley." Tina can eat it basically on its own with cucumber, garlic, salt, and sesame oil. She prepares it as a cold salad. Cilantro's pretty much treated as another vegetable around here.
I also saw on Facebook an idea to cut a potato as seen below - with thin slits all across the top but not cut all the way through - then drizzle it with olive oil and bake it. It was supposed to make something like thick potato chips in texture, but mine was still a little soft. Pretty good, though.
Back to being lazy - I usually only eat a small selection of fruit - usually those that require no washing and only peeling (i.e. oranges and bananas). But in the vein of eating healthier and getting a more diverse array of vitamins, I made myself try some local fruits. Below are "Chinese strawberries." They are quite tart (think of an unripened blackberry), but chilled in the fridge, I find them quite refreshing. The only downside is that they have a pit, so they are not ideal for smoothies. Dad suggested a "sour cherry" style pie.
Ipads make it too easy to do these type of self-photos. I couldn't help myself.
Tina made sushi at home one night. She even made a cute little panda sushi. Tim made a bit of seaweed wrapper into a toy.






No comments:
Post a Comment