Wednesday, June 18, 2014

我的第三十二的生日

My 32nd Birthday!

I love my birthday.  I love the summer-time relaxation.  The hot weather.  Swimming pools.  Ice cream and a chocolate cake.  Wax candles.  Birthday dinners at Provino's.  Time with the family (sometimes I have the parents all to myself).  Walking barefoot outside.  Looking at the night sky.  Pondering life. 

I can't believe I've already had 33 of those special days. :)

As Daddy said when I talked to him yesterday:  "You just keep on having birthdays, one right after the other, until you're about 100 years old.  Then you can tell everyone about all your experiences.  You can even write a book titled How I survived a meal of baked sardines."

Love my Daddy.  And my Mama, too!  She sang happy birthday to me and reminded me that 9:27 pm is my actual birth-time.

Highlights from my special day:

An outing with Cathy (June 11)

The lotus were in bloom in Senado Square.  Perfect flowers for a June birthday.



We went to a buffet lunch.  The view from the window in the corridor:

 
On the streets of Macau.  We wore dresses for our birthday celebration:

 
Mandarin Bible Study (June 13)
 
 
Tina was in charge of "worship" for this Bible Study.  That means that she should find 3 songs from youtube that we can sing before the study.  I wondered why the lights needed to be low for worship.  Then, the song began:  Alvin and the Chipmunks' rendition of "Happy Birthday."  Still in shock, I saw a birthday cake coming my way:  Thank you, Tina!  Such a sweet, sweet surprise:

 
I asked Esther Chen to take a picture of me and Tina together.  Typical Esther-style:












 
Esther loves to take photos (she's in the front):

Photo: Happy birthday Beth
Lunch with Monica (June 17)

 
Monica and I went out for pho at a new Vietnamese Restaurant.  Monica wanted the coconut juice.  It's bigger than her head!  We've worked together on the level 0 team for 3 years, and this year, Monica is leaving to start a second master's degree at the University of Hawaii.  Sure going to miss her!
 
Birthday Dinner with Tina (June 17)
 
Tina is an excellent cook.  She made a Chinese feast for my birthday:  baked sardines, stir-fried tomato and egg, stir-fried cucumber and sausage, and a fruit platter of Chinese melon and banana.  I didn't even have room for the brownies I made.  I'll never forget this special birthday meal, so lovingly prepared. :)


 
Then time to open a card from Mom and a gift from Tina.  She'd been saving it for 8 months!!

 
 
A super-cool Korean-style wallet, very similar to the one of Tina's I had admired.  So thoughtful!  Birthdays are the best.  I aim to have many more, God-willing.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment