Thursday, August 23, 2012

New Apartment, Part 3

Success!!!

Success did not come in the form I thought it would, but it did come.  I settled on an apartment in Taipa.

I owe this success to a colleague and friend of mine, Monica.  Monica is a person who knows how to get things done, and she also grew up in Macau, so she speaks the language, literally and figuratively.  She offered to help me with apartment-hunting, and I suppose I waited too long, because I came to her in desperation today (should have come to her sooner).  She gave me some tips for finding a better apartment.  For instance, I should give a higher price range because the realtor can actually negotiate with the landlord for a lower price, which will be in your intended price range.  Hardly anyone pays the ticket price.  Okay, good to know.  Monica actually looked around the apartment for any flaws (I didn't see any) to use for leverage in our bargaining with the landlord.  Even the "weak" flaws she found helped to bring down the price.  I'm so thankful I had her with me!

So, after I do some paperwork tomorrow, I will have a clean, spacious apartment in Taipa.  It is about a 20-minute walk from work, but I don't have to look out my window and see the campus (like another apartment we looked at - too stressful to see your work from home).

Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment