Friday, September 21, 2012

One Friday Night

Last night was one Friday night that I'll remember for awhile.

To back up, Thursday was a very busy day for me - two morning classes, an afternoon presentation, then one afternoon class.  I hadn't slept well the night before in anticipation of the afternoon presentation, and I had only minutes between each class to recharge.  Add to that the fact that my office seemed to have a revolving door on it that day, and you can see why, by the end of the day, I was nearly in tears from hearing my own voice and having constant dialogue with other instructors and students.

So, when by chance, I was asked to go out on Friday night with a small group of instructors from the ELC, I was about to say no, when I changed my mind.  I'm glad I did because it was just the "recharge" I needed.

Last night, Josh, Marilyn, Monica, Janice and I got tickets to a live performance and meal at Macau's Clube Militar.  The Clube Militar was built in 1870 and was, as the name suggests, built as a clubhouse of sorts for Portuguese soldiers stationed in Macau.  While it is no longer strictly a military club, it does require a membership for anyone wanting to venture past the dining room.  Our tickets last night allowed us to do just that.


The Clube Militar, compliments of www.dipity.com


We were seated in a large room so typical of older homes - high ceilings, large windows, drafty corners, dim lighting - and treated to a beautiful live performance by French vocalist Christiane Mouron and Pianist Terry Truck.  While the songs were all performed in French, Christiane spoke to us between songs in English, and I could grasp the gist of the songs.  I just felt myself relaxing into the chair and remembering why I love music so much.  They performed the song in this clip last night.  The interview beforehand is worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment